Monday, October 27, 2008

Low pocket pair

Playing a Pocket pair is very common but can be very unrewarding. I have had alot of experience playing poker and I can honestly say that I get beat very often with low to mid pocket pairs.
I have heard that it is very common to go all-in with a hand such as 9-9, or j-j, however I disagree and think that these hands need to either be folded or called to the flop to see if you can hit three of a kind.
Pocket Jacks is supposedly the 4th best starting hand in poker behind Aces, Kings, and Queens, but it being beat as often as it is, is kind of sad. Pocket pairs are good, dont take me wrong but if you over play them they can come back to haunt you and this will not be good.
The biggest mistake new players in poker make is raising with a low pocket pair and going all in with practically nothing. Usually you'll get called by either a higher pocket pair or something like A-K or A-Q and you dont have the better odds or winning that hand.
My advice to all the poker players out there is to just hope for three of a kind,dont raise them with 9 players at a table in early positon,you can raise them if you have the dealer position or the small blind and everybody folded.If you are just 5 or less at one table than you you can raise them and see if you catch a set or if your opponent missed the flop.

Labels: